After many evenings spent in big woolly socks curled up on the couch sipping red wine, chowing down hot stews and stuffing our faces with chocolate self-saucing pudding it’s time for us to emerge from hibernation (and start shaving our legs again). Spring is a time for renewel and rebirth, inviting new beginnings and releasing things that are no longer serving us, and why not include our homes in this too? Spring cleaning and decluttering is a bit of a ritual in our household and let’s be honest (after its done!) it just makes us feel better! With less stuff and clutter, we can have a better focus on what matters.
A few quick tips include working from the top down to avoid having to clean twice. Also get yourself some good gloves to protect your hands and use natural cleaning products so you aren’t having to breathe in toxic fumes and the surfaces in your home aren't covered with harmful chemicals. Look for products that are plant-based and use essential oils rather than synthetic fragrances. Feeling a tad overwhelmed on where to begin? Here’s a few quick notes to get you started:
1. Deep clean mattresses – sprinkle with baking soda mixed with a few drops of calming essential oils like lavender, ylang ylang or geranium. Let sit for at least an hour and then vacuum off. Then air mattress in sunlight which will naturally help kill bacteria and germs. Sweet dreams.
2. Wash all bedding and pillows and dry in the sun which is one of our best natural anti-bacterial masters – spritz bedding and linen with our Lavender Rosewater Spray for that extra freshness and loveliness.
3. Clear out wardrobe and draws – put winter clothes away/donate to charity if you haven’t worn in 12 months or host a clothes swap party. Get your summer clothes out, hooray! Again, you can spritz those summer clothes with our Lavender Rosewater Spray.
4. Declutter and organise – books, magazines, photos, even that bottom drawer in the kitchen! Ask the kids to choose some toys to donate to charity. Be ruthless and if it’s not adding value to your life, then donate it!
5. Dust the obscure: pictures, art, light fittings, air-con units, fans.
6. Empty out fridge and clean with our Natural Cleaning Spray - throw out all those jars of sauces that expired in 2012!
7. Safety First! Check batteries on smoke detectors and expiry dates on fire extinguishers
8. Vacuum sofas and spot clean using our Natural Cleaning Spray which helps remove stains
9. Get your windows sparkling clean with our Glass & Mirror Polish and some old newspaper for a no-streak finish
10. Give EVERYTHING (benches, tables, bathrooms, fridges, draws, couches) a good spray down afterwards with our no-wipe Natural Disinfecting Spray to help blast germs and leave your home smelling like delicious chai.
Still feels like a bit of a never-ending insurmountable task? Just start one room at a time and enlist some helpers - getting the kids (or hubby) involved teaches them responsibility, monkey see, monkey do. Be brutal with things you are no longer using let them go, donate if you can, recycle or upcycle.
Now close your eyes and imagine that your home is perfectly de-cluttered, organised and fresh for spring… you feel calm and serene, think of all that extra space, the beautiful feng shui energy in your home, and that amazing sense of accomplishment! Now it’s definitely wine time!